Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Wired for speed!


Hi all! Well, this is my first blog post ever, so please stick with me. My wife, Ashley, and I (Spencer) bought the house from Erin and Ken back in October, and since then we've mostly just been trying to unpack and adjust to owning a home.

I finally got around to actually doing some work on the house (not that there's much to do), so I thought it was time to write a blog post. Ken kindly ran some cat6 wiring through the house when he was renovating it, so I ordered some plugs, wall plates, and a networking switch to wire this place up. After screwing up the first couple plugs, I finally figured out how to properly connect the wall jacks (as seen above - isn't that a breathtaking photo?). Now that the house is all wired, we can transfer data at gigabit speeds throughout the house. Unfortunately, our internet connection is only 5% of that speed, so it's not doing a whole lot of good yet. But if Google ever decides to bring a gigabit network to Durham, I'll be ready.


No comments:

Post a Comment